Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You're Gonna Love Me...

Really, you are. Let me tell you why. I am going to share these buns with you. These delicious, soft on the inside, a little chewy on the outside, perfect buns. Are you interested yet?

A few weeks back I got an email from my lovely sister with a link to these amazing buns. My sister had seen them on Annie's Eats and oh-my-goodness am I glad she did. I was having a dinner dilemma tonight because after I went on a Mexican food dinner marathon last week, there was no way I was making the planned dinner of white bean chili. It has totally lost it's appeal. Instead I figured I would just make some easy BBQ Chicken sandwiches but I had no buns and I didn't feel like loading up the kids and driving to the store for some mediocre packaged buns. That's when I remembered these lovelies. The original recipe was a little complicated and I do not pride myself on my bread making skills so I decided to take a little risk (I live on the edge) and throw everything into the bread machine. So easy and worth it!

While I was working on the buns Maddox began working on a food masterpiece of his own.


Look at the precision. The balance. The composition.

A true work of art.



Back to the buns. Here is what you'll need for...
Light Brioche Burger Buns
3 tablespoons warm milk
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, barely melted
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons yeast
For egg wash:
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
Sesame seeds (for topping)


Break out your beast of a bread machine. I love this thing. I don't think I've ever made bread by hand.





In the bottom of your bread machine container combine the warm water, warm milk, butter, sugar, salt and egg.




Next, pour in the flours and make a little well in the top. Don't make the well too deep. You don't want it to get down to the liquids on the bottom.



Fill the shallow well with yeast.




Put it all in the bread machine set to the dough cycle and let it work it's magic. Speaking of dough, check out those hands. Bella was quite curious.





When the cycle is over (my bread machine's dough cycle does the first rise too. If yours doesn't let the kneaded dough rise for 1-2 hours) plop the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface.




Divide the dough into four pieces. Never mind the chopped carrot debris stuck to the dough from my beloved cutting board.




And then into eight.




Shape the divided dough into eight balls.


Transfer buns to a parchment lined cookie sheet 2-3 inches apart and cover them with saran wrap lightly coated with non-stick spray. Let them rise for another hour or two.




While they are rising do something fun with your squishies.





Or, I guess you could clean up your kitchen, but who really wants to do that anyway?





When the buns are done rising, mix up your egg wash.




Brush your deliciously doughy buns with the egg wash. Are Maddox and I the only ones completely obsessed with doughiness? We love it. We've got to have it.




Sprinkle on some sesame seeds. Put a shallow pan of water on the very bottom rack of a 400* oven. Bake the buns on the middle rack of oven for 15 minutes, rotating the pan half way through.






Loveliness.


Go make these now! And when they are fresh and warm out of the oven and your house smells amazing go ahead and forget the burgers or BBQ chicken sammies or whatever you had in mind for these and put some butter and honey on one. You are seriously going to love me if you do!! Seriously.





















No comments:

Post a Comment