Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Who loves you baby?

Happy New Year!! At the end of 2010 I was going to do a post that would be a year in pictures. But as I was going through my pictures I realized that not only did I not take enough pictures last year but also that my babies are growing up so fast and it breaks my heart. Okay, so that might be a little dramatic, but I really can't believe it! How is this happening so fast?!


Bella started the year as a squishy little baby..



and now she is a walking, talking, petite little firecracker who doesn't want me to leave her sight.

As for Maddox, sadly, I am no longer his number one. Luke is. He calls Bella and I 'the girls'. As in "Dad, can I go with you and 'the girls' can stay here?" Umm..excuse me?! Now we are just 'the girls'?! When did this happen? He wants to do everything himself.



Make his own sandwiches, peel his own oranges, dress himself, do his own hair, and not eat anything I cook (unless it's Mac and Cheese..ugh). Now don't get me wrong I'm enjoying some of his new found independence and I like to see him want to do new things but I also still see him as my little baby.
On Sunday at church, Maddox moved up from nursery to his Sunbeams class (the Sunday school class for 3 & 4 year olds). He was nervous to go but did that make him want his mommy to take him to class for his first Sunday? No. He wanted his dad to drop him off. Then, when I went to his classroom to get him after church did he run to his mommy so happy to see me? No. He didn't want to leave because he was having so much fun. Apparently he had become Mr. Popular with the other boys in his class when he tooted on his friend and they all thought it was hilarious. All tooting aside, he did love it and was so excited to be in a real class.



And no, he didn't wear jammies to church. I took this the next morning.
So, Maddox, I am going to win back your love. And if food is love, then who loves you baby?
Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe is originally from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, but I changed a few things for convenience and swapped out the regular macaroni for whole wheat (to make me feel better about feeding my family what is ultimately a vat of cheese and pasta..mmm.)


Serves 12

8 tablespoons butter
3-4 slices bread, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces (the original recipe calls for 6 slices but it was way to much and I probably only used half)
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons course salt, plus more for water:
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar
2 1/2 cups medium cheddar
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan
1 pound whole wheat macaroni noodles

Preheat your oven to 375* F and grease a 3 quart casserole pan.



Grate the cheeses and set aside.



Cut the bread into pieces and toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the butter, melted. Set aside. Cook your macaroni noodles for 3 minutes. You want them to still be underdone in the middle so don't overcook. Rinse them in cold water and set aside to drain in a colander.



Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.



Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a high sided, large skillet over medium heat.



When butter starts to bubble, add flour and stir for one minute.



Add the milk a little at a time whisking constantly. It will start out a little lumpy but will start to get smooth as you add more milk and continue whisking.


When you have added all the milk continue to whisk constantly for about 8-12 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.



Almost there.





Finally!




Remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.



Add the cheeses, reserving about 1/2 cup of each for topping.



Stir it around until it's nice and smooth and the cheeses have melted.


Add the cooked macaroni.


Stir in the macaroni until it is well coated.

Transfer it to a greased casserole dish.



Top with reserved cheeses.



Top with bread cubes and pop it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.



Let the finished mac and cheese sit for 5 minutes before serving. We had this for dinner with blanched green beans and salad. You know, to even things out. ;)


I think I won back my baby boy's love. At least until dinner rolls around again.























No comments:

Post a Comment